Each year, the Minnesota Veterinary Medical Foundation awards over $50,000 in veterinary scholarships. Scholarship selection is based on good academic standing, applicant’s achievements, honors, and leadership experience, financial need, and applicant’s desire to practice veterinary medicine and/or benefit animal health in the state of Minnesota. MVMF scholarships are available to MVMA members only (University of MN Veterinary Students are automatically enrolled as Student Members, and the fee is already covered under your SAVMA Student Bundle. Learn more about MVMA student membership here).
Scholarship Application Instructions
The application deadline is November 30.
The scholarship application form will ask for the following documents. Please ensure you have the documents ready to upload, as this application cannot be saved and finished at a later time.
- Unofficial transcript
- First year students may submit a letter of good standing in lieu of transcript.
- Resume should not exceed three pages. Please detail your veterinary experience (including volunteer and/or employment positions held, externships, research positions, and clinical rotations if applicable), along with community and scholastic leadership experience. In addition, list any honors, publications, or scholarships awarded.
- This may be submitted separately to email@example.com
- What are your future educational and occupational goals? Why? (Maximum 400 words)
- How will you impact the field of veterinary medicine in Minnesota? (Maximum 400 words)
- What sets you apart from other veterinary students? What characteristics do you possess that uniquely qualify you for this scholarship? (Maximum 750 words)
If you have any questions, please contact the MVMF at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-645-7533.
- DR. DICK REIERSON VETERINARY DENTAL SCHOLARSHIP - $12,000 (4 available)
Awarded to a second, third- or fourth-year veterinary student interested in veterinary dentistry with financial need and good scholastic standing. The applicant must also submit a short essay of 200 words or less that describes their interest in veterinary dentistry.
- MVMF CARES SCHOLARSHIP - $6,000
Awarded to a first-year student in good scholastic standing that has demonstrated current and past volunteerism and community involvement.
- MVM FOUNDATION PUBLIC HEALTH SCHOLARSHIP - $6,000
With increasing need to attract and train veterinarians in the field of public health and epidemiology, the MVMF awards a $6,000 scholarship for a student with an interest in veterinary public health. This annual scholarship is to provide a stipend for additional training or to offset additional tuition costs incurred while participating in the joint DVM/MPH program. Scholarship funds could also be used to reimburse travel and lodging expenses for a DVM student who will participate in a public health-related externship, such as at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The following criteria should be met for this scholarship:
- A College of Veterinary Medicine student who has demonstrated an interest and commitment to veterinary public health, either through research, service, or externship training.
- Ideally, the student will be concurrently enrolled in the DVM/MPH program.
- Eligible students may be first-, second-, or third-year students.
- The student has achieved high academic standing.
- The student has financial need.
- MVM FOUNDATION MARGARET POMEROY SCHOLARSHIP - $6,000
Awarded to a second-year veterinary medical student with both financial need and good scholastic standing, with preference given to a Minnesota high school graduate.
- MVMA VBMA STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP - $5,000
Awarded to a 2nd or 3rd year VBMA student. Preference given to a student who has been active in the VBMA, with strong academic credentials, and is committed to acquiring strong business skills with a goal to pursue a successful career in veterinary practice. Awarded by the Minnesota Veterinary Medical Association.
- ARROWHEAD VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION SCHOLARSHIP - $5,000
Awarded to a 2nd, 3rd or 4th year student based on financial need and in good scholastic standing, with preference given to a student from the outstate Arrowhead region of Minnesota or Wisconsin.
- MVM FOUNDATION SPANNAUS SCHOLARSHIP - $6,000
Awarded to a third-year veterinary medicine student with financial need and good scholastic standing, with preference given to a Minnesota high school graduate. The scholarship should be used for tuition, books, and fees.
- AERC SCHOLARSHIP - $5,000
Awarded to a 4th year veterinary student interested in private practice ownership. The applicant must also submit a short essay (maximum 200 words) with the application package that covers the following: "Why do you support private practice ownership? Describe your proposed personal path to achieve practice ownership."
- MVM FOUNDATION COMPANION ANIMAL SCHOLARSHIP - $6,000
Awarded to a 4th year veterinary student with a companion animal objective, good scholastic standing, & financial need.
- MVM FOUNDATION FOOD ANIMAL SCHOLARSHIP - $6,000
Awarded to a 4th year veterinary student with a food animal objective, good scholastic standing, & financial need with the intention of practicing in Minnesota.
- MVMA AWARD – LEADERSHIP AWARD - $5,000
Awarded to a 4th year veterinary student based on leadership. Awarded by the Minnesota Veterinary Medical Association.
- MVM FOUNDATION DR. TOM BLOOM MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP - $1,500
Awarded to a 4th year, Minnesota resident preferred who is recognized for his/her community service contribution (whether in the veterinary school, or in the outside community) and has demonstrated a willingness to help others succeed.
- MVM FOUNDATION VHA MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP - $5,000
Awarded to a 4th year veterinary student with a companion animal objective and good scholastic standing. The applicant must also submit a short essay (maximum 200 words) with the application package that answers the question: "How does Veterinary Hospitals Association (VHA) benefit its members?" This is an annual scholarship in memory of deceased VHA members.
- ACADEMY POMEROY DVM/PHD SCHOLARSHIP - $2,500
Awarded to a student in the combined U of M DVM/PhD program, preferable when the PhD is started and the DVM is completed.
- MVM FOUNDATION JAMES O. HANSON CONTINUING EDUCATION SCHOLARSHIP - $6,000
Awarded to a post-graduate student
- A veterinarian who has left practice to return to the College of Veterinary Medicine or comparable residency program as an intern or resident to continue their education and expand their knowledge.
- If not #1, the award will be presented to a CVM intern who is staying at the U of M to continue their education through a residency program at the CVM.
- If not #2, the award will be divided between two residents.
In all cases, the award should be presented, if possible, to a person who meets the following criteria: a) Minnesota practitioner; b) University of Minnesota CVM graduate; and c) MVMA member or student MVMA member.